Monday, March 8, 2010

I believe in 6 impossible things before breakfast...

My thoughts on Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland below. There will probably be spoilers so if you don't want to be spoiled, go ahead and pass by now.


OK, if you're still here, I'll assume that spoilers are ok.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie! In fact, I didn't want to leave the theater when it was over - I wanted there to be more. I won't say that it's the best movie I've seen or will see this year but it is a good time.

The cast was excellent, of course. Johnny Depp was wonderful as the Mad Hatter! Johnny is one of the best method actors in the world today - you give the man a script and he will produce a quality product. I thought he was brilliant :o) Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen was brilliant as well - she was so funny! I really loved her in this role and she had some fantastic lines! Alan Rickman as the Hookah-Smoking Caterpillar - *swoon* That voice is a national treasure, I swear it! I honestly did not know he was doing a voice for this movie until I heard him speak :o) Alice was played by Mia Wasikowska and she really didn't impress me much. She didn't put a lot of heart into her role, in my opinion. She was very flat. Anne Hathaway was very enjoyable as the White Queen except for her hand placement. That got on my nerves a bit but I suppose that she was just trying to act up her part as the simple and pure White Queen. It was a bit ... eye-catching but not a deal-breaker. Crispin Glover as Stayne, the Knave of Hearts was very good but one thing about him bothered me - his movements. The way he walked was very marionette-like in a way - I wondered if part of him had been CG'd or if he was on lifts to make him taller or something. I couldn't quite wrap my head around what it was exactly but it was weird. He rocked that scar and eye-patch though.

My favorite by far has always been and will always be the Cheshire Cat. Chess was voiced by Stephen Fry and he did a magnificent job! I really liked this interpretation of Chess - the blues as opposed to the pink and purple. I just love the Cat :o)

I loved the colors and the scenes in this - the White and Red Queens' armies were excellent, the playing cards and the chess pieces. Very cool. I loved the faces in the flowers and the Tweedles were great! The Jabberwocky was very well-done as well. I remember reading the Jabberwocky in high school but it didn't occur to me that it was part of the Alice stories really.

All in all, it was a great time and definitely one to own when it comes out. I did not see it in 3-D though, so I can't speak on how well that worked out.

I can't wait to get my hands on the DVD so I can cap it and make some icons! There are a lot of scenes that I haven't seen capped yet that I think would make beautiful icons!

2 comments:

  1. Alan Rickman?! I love that man's voice!

    I read in an interview that Crispin Glover was on stilts and I'm pretty sure CG'd. I'll see if I can find the article...

    http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/b18321_wonderland_cast_talks_tim_burton_lewis.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! I knew it!!! Thanks for the link MK! :o)

    Oh Godric yes, Alan Rickman's voice is delicious! I could listen to him read the phone book and be content!

    ReplyDelete